Originally constructed in 1933, the Art Deco “Monarch of the City” is listed on the National Register of historic places, boasting exterior terracotta details and Native American motifs, which will be illuminated with a crown of new lights. A full interior restoration will take place utilizing both State and Historic Tax Credits. The effort will include the preservation of Tennessee and Belgium marble wainscots, terrazzo flooring, brass elevator doors and accents, and mahogany doors outlined in painted historic wood trim.
Sustainability goals were achieved by maximizing the use of existing materials and introducing new resilient finishes including carbon-neutral linoleum flooring in the units. Insulation was added to the exterior masonry walls to improve performance and comfort. New systems include high efficiency condensing boilers, electric heat, and a combination of chilled water and high efficiency air source heat pumps. The building was also renovated to include a new energy recovery unit to provide 100% ventilation throughout all occupied areas. The lighting was upgraded to LED throughout.